On Air Now
WADK Encore
WADK Encore
7:00pm - 12:00am
WADK Encore
Contact Me
My Blog
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Listen to What's Up Newp presents 1540 Live! Live and local...weekdays 4pm
Top Stories
Subscribe To This Feed

Raiders Name Tony Sparano Interim Coach


David Lee/Thinkstock(ALAMEDA, Calif.) -- The Oakland Raiders are turning to offensive line coach Tony Sparano to handle the head coaching duties on an interim basis, the team announced on Tuesday.

Sparano previously was the head coach of Miami from 2008-11, leading them to a 29-32 record. He guided the Dolphins to the AFC East division title in 2008 with an 11-5 record.

The Raiders fired Dennis Allen on Monday night after compiling a record of 8-28 during his two-plus seasons at the helm.

Sparano becomes the Raiders' eighth head coach since 2003. Oakland has not had a winning record or a postseason berth in 11 seasons.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Eric Frein Manhunt Finds Two 'Fully Functional' Pipe Bombs


Pennsylvania State Police(NEW YORK) -- Police searching for accused cop killer Eric Frein in the dense woods of the Poconos Mountains have found two pipe bombs that could have been rigged to explode with a trip wire, police said Tuesday.

The bombs were described as "substantial explosive devices" by Lt. Col. George Bivens. He said the metal nuts attached to them are “used to create shrapnel,” and were designed to be detonated with either a fuse or a trip wire.

"These devices are consistent with Frein's non-confrontational and gutless efforts to kill and injure law enforcement from a distance," Bivens said.

"We found them along with a number of other supplies available to be deployed," Bivens said. "It was in a site that he was using and had used for some overnight accommodations."

The officer said the two pipe bombs were located "in close proximity" to where police spotted a man they believe was Frein within the last 24 hours. Bivens said the suspect was 75 to 100 yards away from officers when spotted, but was able to escape yet again in the thick woods.

The manhunt for Frein has entered its third week. Police have previously said they were being cautious searching cabins and caves near the border of Pike and Monroe counties in eastern Pennsylvania for fear that Frein may have set booby-traps.

Frein, 31, is accused of shooting two state troopers, killing one, at the Blooming Grove police barracks on Sept. 12, before fleeing into the woods. The hunt is focused on a few square miles and recently moved slightly south, Bivens said.

Police have also found the suspect's abandoned Jeep, soiled diapers, Serbian cigarettes and an AK-47 in the search. He's been spotted several times but has evaded police capture.

Bivens said he doesn't believe Frein left his weapons behind on accident.

"I believe that was done because he was under pressure and he abandoned them," he said.

Bivens called on Frein to surrender.

“You are clearly stressed,” he said. “You’re making significant mistakes. We continue to take your supplies and your weapon stockpiles. While you are no doubt weakening, our troopers’ resolve is very strong. We are not going anywhere.”

Searchers found other supplies that police won't reveal, although Bivens did say that searchers have found ammunition "for a .308 rifle that we believe he has in his possession."

Bivens said he released information about the bombs because the public deserves to know.

Police got an initial lead when Frein turned on his cellphone in an attempt to call his parents, sources close to the investigation told ABC News. The phone was only on for a few seconds, but it was long enough for searchers to track the location, the source said. Bivens, who said he believes the suspect has a radio and access to the media, declined to discuss the phone call.

Dogs flushed Frein from a hiding place one evening, Bivens said, but he was able to escape deeper into the woods as darkness fell.

Frein, from Canadensis, is a skilled survivalist and war reenactor with a specific interest in Eastern European armies. He is also an expert on weapons who learned to shoot from his father, a retired Army major.

He belonged to a military simulation group called the Eastern Wolves.

Frein allegedly killed Cpl. Bryon Dickson when police say he opened fire at the barracks. Another trooper, Alex Douglass, was shot but is recovering.

State police and the FBI have been scouring the woods ever since, focusing on a few square miles where they believe Frein is hiding. The search recently moved slightly south, Bivens said.

Investigators will soon have to consider deer hunters in their search. Bow-hunting season will start on Saturday as scheduled, the Pennsylvania Game Commission told ABC News. Certain areas will be restricted, based on the search.

The FBI has added Frein to its 10 Most Wanted Fugitive List and last week announced a new reward for $100,000 for information leading to his capture. That's in addition to a $75,000 reward from Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

First Ebola Case Diagnosed in US Confirmed by CDC


Will Montgomery (ATLANTA) -- The first Ebola case has been diagnosed in the United States, but a top health official said there is "no doubt... we will stop it here."

Dr. Tom Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said on Tuesday the patient left Liberia on Sept. 19 and arrived in the U.S. on Sept. 20. The patient sought medical help on Sept. 26 and was put in isolation on Sept. 28, Frieden said.

Tests confirming the Ebola diagnosis came back on Tuesday.

Frieden stressed that the patient was not sick on departure from Liberia or upon arrival in the U.S., and the disease can only be contracted by someone exhibiting symptoms of the disease.

Frieden said he was confident there would not be an Ebola outbreak in the U.S.

"There is no doubt in my mind we will stop it here," he said.

Frieden declined to identify the patient other than to say, "The individual was here to visit family who live in this country." Frieden later indicated the patient was male when he modified the comment to say, "He was visiting family members and staying with family members who live in this country."

Health officials are tracking down the patient's close contacts to determine whether they contracted the virus, Frieden said.

Although American Ebola patients have been treated in the United States prior to this diagnosis, they all contracted Ebola in West Africa.

Dr. Edward Goodman, head epidemiologist at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, said he could not reveal information about the patient’s symptoms or treatment, but said that “he is ill and he is under intensive care.”

Frieden said possible experimental therapies are being discussed with the family and may be announced later.

Ebola has killed 2,917 people and infected 3,346 others since the outbreak began in March.

The patient arrived at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas Sunday with possible Ebola symptoms "days" after returning from West Africa, according to the Texas state health department. The patient was placed in isolation until the CDC could confirm the diagnosis.

Ebola is spread via contact with bodily fluids, such as blood and urine, but it is not contagious unless Ebola symptoms are present, the state health department said. Symptoms can take between two and 21 days to appear after exposure to the virus, according to the CDC.

This has been the worst Ebola outbreak since the virus was discovered in 1976. More people have died from Ebola since March than in every other Ebola outbreak to date combined, according to data from the World Health Organization.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

US, Partners Conduct 22 Airstrikes Against ISIS in Syria and Iraq


iStock/Thinkstock(TAMPA, Fla.) -- The U.S. military, with the help of partner nations, conducted 22 more airstrikes against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) targets in Iraq and Syria, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said Tuesday.

Eleven of the strikes were conducted throughout Syria on Monday and Tuesday. According to CENTCOM, two near Dayr ar Zawr destroyed an ISIS armored vehicle and armed vehicle; five near Sinjar destroyed one artillery piece, one tank, three armed vehicles, two facilities, an observation post and hit four fighting positions; three near Mazra al Duwud destroyed one artillery piece, damaged another, and destroyed two rocket launchers; and one northeast of Aleppo destroyed four buildings occupied by ISIS.

The attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft used in these airstrikes all managed to exit the areas safely.

The other 11 strikes took place in Iraq Tuesday, seven of which destroyed an armored vehicle, two transport vehicles and four armed vehicles, and damaged an armed vehicle in the northwestern part of the country.

Two strikes near Mosul Dam destroyed an ISIS fighting position and armed vehicle. The remaining two airstikes destroyed an armed vehicle northwest of Baghdad and struck an ISIS checkpoint in west Fallujah.

The fighter and remotely piloted aircraft used in these attacks also managed to exit the areas safely.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Tracy Morgan Responds After Wal-Mart Blames Him for Injuries


Virginia Sherwood/NBC(NEW YORK) -- Tracy Morgan is speaking out one day after Wal-Mart blamed the comedian and his fellow passengers for their injuries in the fatal June crash on the New Jersey Turnpike involving one of its drivers.

In a formal response to a suit brought against the retailer, Wal-Mart said the passengers should've been wearing seat belts when the car they were riding in was struck by a Wal-Mart truck.

In a statement to ABC News, the 30 Rock star said, "After I heard what Wal-Mart said in court I felt I had to speak out. I can't believe Wal-Mart is blaming me for an accident that they caused. My friends and I were doing nothing wrong. I want to thank my fans for sticking with me during this difficult time. I love you all. I'm fighting hard every day to get back."

In court papers Monday, Wal-Mart broadly denied allegations of recklessness and negligence when the vehicle Morgan and his friends were riding in was struck by Wal-Mart truck driver Kevin Roper’s rig, and said the plaintiffs’ injuries were caused “by failure to wear an appropriate available seatbelt restraint device.”

Had Morgan and the others been wearing seat belts, Wal-Mart said, “all or a portion of the injuries could have been diminished or minimized.”

Morgan was seriously injured in the crash. He suffered a broken femur, a broken nose and several broken ribs, among other injuries. His friend, comedian James McNair, died.

Wal-Mart declined to answer a specific allegation that its driver, Roper, was fatigued, because the company is also involved in the National Transportation Safety Board investigation.

An attorney for Morgan and the other plaintiffs who brought the lawsuit called Wal-Mart's argument "surprising and appalling."

In a new statement, the retail chain said Tuesday, “Walmart is committed to working to resolve all of the remaining issues as a result of the accident. As part of the ordinary course of legal proceedings, Walmart filed an initial response yesterday to the lawsuit that included facts and defenses that may impact the case moving forward.  While we were required to respond to the lawsuit, we have also taken steps to encourage settlement discussions. Our thoughts continue to go out to everyone involved, and we remain committed to doing what’s right.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Consumer Confidence Declines, More Losses on Wall Street


JaysonPhotography/iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Tuesday marked another day of losses for Wall Street, as all three major indices closed lower for the second day in a row.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 28.32 to 17,042.90.

The Nasdaq slipped 12.46 to 4,493.39, while the S&P 500 closed at 1,972.29, down 5.51.

The Conference Board said on Tuesday that consumer confidence, which increased in August, slipped back downwards in September. August's mark had been the highest level in about seven years. The Conference Board noted that "a less positive assessment of the current job market" played a role in the decline.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Subscribe To This Feed

Secret Service Director: White House Intrusion 'Unacceptable'


ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- Facing an outraged Congressional committee, Secret Service Director Julia Pierson admitted the agency’s security plan “was not properly executed," calling the White House intrusion that took place on Sept. 19 “unacceptable.”

"I take full responsibility," Pierson said. "It will never happen again.”

In a startling security lapse earlier this month, 42-year-old Omar Gonzalez, armed with a 3 ½ inch serrated knife, scaled the north fence at the White House, stormed through the unlocked North Portico door, and barreled past an agent into the East Room just minutes after the first family had departed the White House.

Before he scaled the fence, Pierson revealed that two agents recognized and observed Gonzalez, who was caught with a hatchet tucked in his waistband and several firearms stashed in his car near the White House earlier this summer, but did not make contact with him or report that he was present.

"We all are outraged within the Secret Service of how this came to pass," Pierson said. "It’s obvious that mistakes were made.”

“Protecting the White House complex is a challenge in any environment,” she added. “We are never satisfied by the status quo and we are constantly reviewing our security protocols."

House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa called lawmakers back to Capitol Hill to convene the rare recess hearing, saying the failure “has tested the trust of the American people in the Secret Service” to protect the president.

“Common sense tells us that there were a series of security failures, not an instance of praiseworthy restraint. Inexplicably, Omar Gonzalez breached at least five rings of security on September 19th,” Issa, R-Calif., said. “The White House is supposed to be one of America’s most secure facilities, and in fact, one of the world’s most secure facilities. So how on earth did it happen?”

Pierson -- brought in just 18 months ago to clean up the scandal-plagued agency -- now faces a scandal of her own.

She said 16 people have been apprehended for scaling the fence over the past five years, including six this year.

“Our goal today is also clear: to determine how this happened and make sure it does not happen again,” said Democrat Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md. “I hate to even imagine what could have happened if Gonzalez had been carrying a gun instead of a knife when he burst inside the White House. That possibility is extremely unsettling.”

A “crash box” alarm that should have alerted agents of an intruder had been muted at the behest of the chief usher’s office, the Washington Post reported Monday, and the agent guarding the door had no time to lock it before Gonzalez entered.

While the incident was the primary focus of the hearing, lawmakers also demanded answers about an incident the next day when an unauthorized vehicle was cleared into the White House compound, as well as a 2011 incident when a man fired several rounds at the White House while some of the president’s family was inside.

Pierson reportedly requested that much of the hearing take place behind closed doors, calling a public discussion of Secret Service practices “beyond reckless.” Lawmakers claimed the public deserves to know what happened, but agreed to hold a classified session immediately following Tuesday’s open hearing.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Weather

 




On Facebook



WADK celebrates Newport's 375th

LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services