iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- The U.S. has extended an alert for summer travel to Europe amid concerns that major public events could be targets for terror attacks.
A continent-wide alert for Europe that was put in place in March and set to expire in June has been extended through the end of August. According to the State Department, "The large number of tourists visiting Europe in the summer months will present greater targets for terrorists planning attacks in public locations, especially at large events."
The State Department highlighted the Euro 2016 football championship that will be held in France starting next month, where there is already a state of emergency after the deadly Paris attacks in 2015.
The alert also mentions the Catholic Church’s World Youth Day set to take place in July in Krakow, Poland.
According to White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, there is no specific terror threat in Europe. The alert serves as a reminder to "stay vigilant" during summer travel.
"I’m not aware of any specific, credible, terrorist threat around these events or in any particular place in Europe," Earnest said Tuesday. "This alert was issued just as they always are based on an accumulation of information and what we know continues to be an interest by terrorists groups to conduct attacks against western targets and Americans specifically in Europe."
Laura Lezza/Getty Images(ROME) -- An Italian appeals court upheld Costa Concordia Capt. Francesco Schettino’s conviction on Tuesday for his role in the cruise ship’s 2012 capsizing, which killed 32 people.
Francesco Schettino has not yet begun his 16-year prison sentence, and he still has one more chance to appeal to Italy's highest court.
The former captain was sentenced last year and his 16-year prison sentence includes 10 years for manslaughter, five years for causing a maritime accident, and one year for abandoning ship.
The Costa Concordia capsized in 2012 after hitting an underwater rock off the Tuscan island of Giglio.
JANEK SKARZYNSKI/AFP/Getty Images(ANKARA, Turkey) -- A former Miss Turkey has been convicted by a Turkish court for insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on social media.
Merve Buyuksarac, 27, was given a 14-month suspended sentence if she does not reoffend within the next five years, according to BBC. If she offends again, she could face jail time.
She denied insulting the president, according to BBC, and her lawyer said he would file a formal objection and appeal to a higher court.
Buyuksarac was crowned Miss Turkey in 2006. In 2015, she was detained for sharing a satirical poem on her Instagram account a year earlier that prosecutors said was insulting to Erdogan-- the prime minister at the time.
Chris Jackson/Getty Images(NORFOLK, England) — Prince George is growing up. The third-in-line to the British throne, who turns 3 on July 22, was spotted with his mother, Duchess Kate, over the weekend at the Houghton International Horse trials near the family's Norfolk base at Anmer Hall.
Kate was decked out in country attire, wearing her trademark skinny jeans, Barbour coat and Le Chameau wellies. Onlookers said Princess Charlotte, the younger child of Prince William and Kate, was also at the horsing event but she is not seen in the photos.
Kate was photographed seated next to James Meade, an old family friend who has known Prince William, 33, for many years and whose brother, Harry Meade, was competing in the riding trials. William and Kate are also friends of Lord Cholmondeley, who owns Houghton, where the riding trials were held.
The day also included a charity cricket match for Walking with the Wounded, the charity of George's uncle, Prince Harry.
It remains anyone's guess when we may get our first glimpse of Prince George on a horse, following in the royal family's favorite pastime. George's great-grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, is still riding at 90. Zara Phillips Tindall, Princess Anne's daughter and Prince George's godmother, is an Olympic equestrian-eventing champion.
George has also been spotted larking about at his father and his Uncle Harry's polo matches. While Kate and George attended the horse trials this weekend near Anmer, Princes William and Harry were raising money for their charities, Sentebale and Well Child, at a polo charity match in Berkshire.
Prince George is attending Westacre Montessori nursery school a few miles from his Anmer Hall home in Norfolk. Prince William recently revealed they are looking at other schools now to enroll Prince George.
The odds-on favorite is certainly the Weatherby School in Notting Hill. The school is close to William and Kate's Kensington Palace home and was attended by both William and Harry. However, Prince William and Princess Kate surprised many with their choice of nursery school for George in Norfolk and could pick a school close to their country home again.
George, who has captured everyone's heart, is, according to his parents, quite a handful, zooming around on his scooter, loving anything with wheels and being obsessed with helicopters.
He stole the show at Kensington Palace last month when President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama came for dinner with his parents and Prince Harry.
Last week, George was seen in Kensington Park Gardens. Onlookers were delighted as police officers let him sit on top of a motorbike likely used by the same outriders who protect his family when they drive from event to event.
ABC News(NEW YORK) — Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has received his latest endorsement from an unlikely source: North Korea.
Official state-run North Korean newspaper DPRK Today ran an editorial Tuesday praising Trump as a “wise politician” and “far-sighted candidate.”
“The president that U.S. citizens must vote for is not that dull Hillary but Trump, who spoke of holding direct conversation with North Korea,” the editorial said.
The article, first reported by the website nknews.org, went on to praise the April foreign policy speech Trump gave in Washington, D.C., where he threatened to withdraw U.S. forces from South Korea if the government didn’t pay the United States for defense.
“Who knew that the slogan ‘Yankee Go Home’ would come true like this?” the editorial quipped.
Trump earned high praise in December from Russian President Vladimir Putin, who called the GOP front-runner “talented” and “very colorful.”
Putin had said he believed Trump wanted to “move to a more solid, deeper level of relations” between the United States and Russia.
“How can Russia not welcome that? We welcome that,” Putin told ABC News in December.
Trump responded, saying he believed he would “get along fine” with Putin if elected.
The North Korean endorsement comes on the same day South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency reported another North Korean mobile-launched missile had failed.
Citing the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff, Yonhap said the missile was launched from North Korea’s east coast early this morning, but was unsuccessful.
It adds to a string of mobile-launched missile failures this year by the North Korean government, which is aiming for a nuclear-tipped missile that could reach the West Coast of the United States.
NASA(WASHINGTON) — It's been nearly one year since New Horizons sped past Pluto, but the space probe is still sending back incredible images from its flyby of the dwarf planet.
The latest image released by NASA may be the best one yet, with the high resolution mosaic photo showing Pluto's exotic terrain in close detail. The images were snapped from 9,850 miles away and about 23 minutes before the probe approached its closest point in its historic flyby of the dwarf planet.
"This new image product is just magnetic,” Alan Stern, New Horizons principal investigator said in a statement. "It makes me want to go back on another mission to Pluto and get high-resolution images like these across the entire surface."
NASA has also put together a video guided tour of the 50-mile-wide strip comprising the mosaic, pointing out everything from "chaotic and angular mountain ranges" to Pluto's nitrogen glaciers.
New Horizons passed Pluto on July 14, 2015. Since then, the probe has been busy on an estimated year-long data dump, transmitting information from its journey back to Earth.
The piano-sized probe is now speeding through the Kuiper Belt, an area at the edge of our solar system. New Horizons loses about a few watts of power each year, according to NASA, but is estimated to have as much as 20 years left in its life expectancy.
iStock/Thinkstock(LONDON) -- A rare teleprinter that German Adolf Hitler used to message his top Nazi officers during World War II was found for sale on eBay.
A volunteer from the National Museum of Computing in the U.K. stumbled on an eBay ad for the device. He recognized it as a rare Lorenz teleprinter, which in this case was used to transmit coded messages.
There were no bidders, so the museum bought it for the roughly $15 that the ad requested.
When volunteers from the museum went to pick it up in Essex, England, they found it in a garden shed filled with other old items, volunteer engineer John Whetter of the computing museum told ABC News.
The teleprinter had belonged to an elderly man who died recently, and neighbors helping to clear out his house found the old device and eventually posted it on eBay, Whetter said.
“I was surprised,” he added. “We were delighted. When we brought it back to the museum and cleaned it up, we could tell that it was a relatively rare item.”
The teleprinter is going to be part of an exhibition of British World War II coding devices that engineers have spent over 20 years trying to rebuild. The exhibition will show devices that British code-breakers used during World War II to penetrate the secret communications of Germany and its allies.
“It’s a tribute to those people who did this work in World War II who never got the credit they deserved,” Whetter said.
A device used by the Nazis – such as the teleprinter discovered on eBay – is an important part of the exhibition as well, Whetter said.
“It shows the other side of the equation,” he said.
iStock/Thinkstock(LONDON) -- Migrants could start drowning in the English Channel like thousands have perished in the Mediterranean Sea, authorities fear.
As the weather improves, more migrants may try to cross the Channel in small boats in an attempt to find alternative routes to Europe, a representative from the French authority that is in charge of guarding the body of water told ABC News.
The 350-mile English Channel separates southern England from northern France.
“It is a very dangerous route because there is very important traffic with big commercial boats, ferries and a lot of ships, and the area is not that big,” Ophelia Patry, deputy to the French Maritime Prefect overseeing the English Channel and the North Sea, told ABC News.
“When migrants try to cross the Channel, most of the time it’s during the night and they don’t have any light or way to be identified at sea. The Maritime Prefect is very concerned of the questions of migrants between France and England.”
Patry said it is possible that migrants will die trying to cross the Channel, adding that helicopters and ships are among the means authorities uses to try to identify the boats in order to keep migrants safe.
Her comments follow a recent incident Saturday evening when British authorities found a vessel in the English Channel. A total of 20 people were picked up in a search-and-rescue operation, two of them children, a spokesman the British Home Office told ABC News.
Of the 20, 18 were Albanian migrants. They are being interviewed by Border Force officers, while two British men have been accused of assisting illegal immigration, the spokesman said.
A separate empty vessel was also discovered by British authorities, according to the Home Office, which is investigating whether there is a link between the two boats.
The U.K.’s former Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration, John Vine, told BBC Radio 4 that there was an "equal chance" of migrants drowning in the Channel as in the Mediterranean unless more resources are allocated
"I am not a nautical person, but I would have thought crossing the Channel - with all the hazards in terms of cross-Channel traffic as well as the weather and the sea conditions - are going to mean there is an equal chance of people losing their lives unless this is stopped," he said.
No migrants are known to have drowned in the Channel so far, while at least 9,000 migrants have drowned in the Mediterranean since 2013, according to the International Organization for Migration.
iStock/Thinkstock(ISTANBUL) -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told Muslims to reject birth control and have more children in a speech broadcast live on TV Monday, according to the BBC.
He placed responsibility on women, asking "well-educated future mothers" to ignore contraception in an effort to help grow the population.
The majority of Turkish residents are Muslim, and Muslims are the fastest growing religious group in the world, according to a study conducted by the Pew Research Center in 2015. The Pew Center estimated in the study that Islam will likely overtake Christianity as the world's most popular religion by 2050.
Turkey's population has already risen rapidly in recent decades according to the World Bank, climbing from under 30 million in 1960 to roughly 75 million in 2014, increasing by roughly 60 percent. As a point of comparison, Germany's population, which was close to 72 million in 1960, reached a population of approximately 80 million in 2014, increasing by only 10 percent during the same amount of time.
This is not the first time Erdogan has voiced criticism about the use of contraception. The father of four called it "treason" while speaking at a wedding ceremony in 2014. In that same year, Erdogan said that women were 'not equal' to men, and accused feminists of rejecting the idea of motherhood while speaking at the First International Women and Justice Summit in Istanbul.
“Some people can understand this, while others can’t," he said regarding the virtues of motherhood. "You cannot explain this to feminists because they don’t accept the concept.”
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Japan’s military has been put on alert, and ordered to prepare to intercept a possible North Korean missile, a government source told Japan’s Kyodo News.
Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani gave the order amid signs that Pyongyang may go ahead with a ballistic missile launch.
Patriot Advanced Capability-3 surface-to-air guided interceptors in central Tokyo were readied as a response to Nakatani's order, and surveillance activities were also stepped up.
A separate government source Monday told Kyodo News that the Japanese have received indications that Pyongyang is preparing to launch a ballistic missile, possibly an intermediate-range Musudan missile, in the eastern part of North Korea facing the Sea of Japan.
The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously in favor of sanctioning North Korea in March after a resolution drafted by the United States and China, which is considered to be an ally of the North Korean government.
"Virtually all of [North Korea's] resources are channeled into its reckless and relentless pursuit of weapons of mass destruction," U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power told the council after the vote.
DERANA TV(HAMBANTOTA, Sri Lanka) -- It took several people, including a wildlife rescue team, to pull a baby elephant from the open drain into which it had fallen Sunday in an underdeveloped Sri Lankan town.
Officials knocked out the shallow but narrow drain, which had concrete walls, to make room for the rescue.
The good Samaritans are then seen in a video of the event tying ropes around the forelegs of the frightened calf and, after a few attempts, pulling the animal out of the drain.
The calf was reportedly whisked away for medical attention after suffering what is believed to have been a broken leg.
Elephants are apparently common on the streets of Hambantota, a southern port town, where the wild animals roam freely in competition with humans.
iStock/Thinkstock(ROME) -- More than 700 migrants are missing after several shipwrecks in the Mediterranean Sea this week, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency.
According to BBC, the unseaworthy boats sank south of Italy on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Officials said rescue workers had recovered at least 65 bodies so far from three different shipwrecks.
"The Italian navy has been doing a fantastic job, they have rescued about 14,000 people so far this week, but unfortunately there have been a number of incidents where people have lost their lives and in three separate shipwrecks we estimate that 700 people might have died or are still missing and unaccounted for," UN spokesperson William Spindler said.
UN officials said survivors of the shipwrecks off the coast of Libya reported that hundreds of others drowned.
More than 40,000 people have risked traveling to Italy from Libya in 2016 and about 1,500 people have drowned in the process.
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A search is under way for Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido, who disappeared after leaving a party early Sunday morning in his hometown of Ciudad Victoria in northern Mexico, a Mexican official told ABC News.
Ruben Dario of the Tamaulipas state attorney general’s office did not elaborate on the disappearance investigation to ABC News, saying the family requested privacy.
Pulido is currently a forward for Olympiacos of Greece. He was a member of Mexico's World Cup team in 2014.
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- For die-hard stamp collectors, New York City is the center of the universe for the next seven days.
The city is hosting the World Stamp Show-NY 2016, a major international event for philatelists that is held only once every 10 years, at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. The last time an international stamp show took place in NYC was 1956.
The event kicked off Saturday and will run through June 4.
According to its website, the World Stamp Show will feature more than 150 stamp dealers and 50 postal bureaus, including the United States Postal Service and the United Nations Postal Administration.
It is estimated that 250,000 people will attend the eight-day event.
Several new U.S. commemorative stamps are scheduled to be issued for the first time at the show throughout the week, including "View of Our Planets," "Colorful Celebrations," and "National Parks."
Among the show highlights are displays of the 1856 British Guiana 1-cent magenta stamp, which sold at auction in 2015 for $9.5 million--and rock legend John Lennon's stamp collection, which he started when he was a child.
The World Stamp Show-NY 2016 is free and open to the public.