A 16-year-old Rogers High School student charged in connection with bomb threats that disrupted Newport, Middletown and Tiverton schools earlier this month, along with other alleged threats, remains in custody at the Rhode Island Training School in Cranston after a probable- cause hearing in Family Court on Wednesday.
The Newport Daily News reports that he hearing before Judge Francis J. Murray Jr. was closed to the public. State Police announced earlier this week that the boy would be charged with 15 counts of making bomb threats and similar false reports, two counts of extortion and blackmail, and one count of accessing a computer for fraudulent purposes.
Special Assistant Attorney General Ed Mullaney presented the state’s case against the boy, who was defended by attorney Maurice Cusick, who has an office at 625 Thames St.
The attorney said the hearing went well but could not discuss any details of the case against his client.
Mullaney referred all questions to Amy Kempe, spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office.
Kempe said all proceedings in Family Court are “strictly confidential.”