1540 WADK.com Updates

Rhode Island officials are advising residents to avoid contact with water in a pond where a toxic blue-green algae bloom has been detected.

The Health and Environmental Management departments said Tuesday people should not ingest water or eat fish from Melville Pond in Portsmouth. Pet owners should not allow pets to drink the water or swim in it.

Officials say Aquidneck Island's public drinking-water supply is not at risk because Melville Pond is not used for drinking water.

The advisory will remain in effect until further notice.

Skin contact with the algae can cause irritation of the nose, eyes and throat, and swallowing the water can cause diarrhea, vomiting and nausea and more rarely, serious complications.

People are advised to avoid bright green water or algae they may see elsewhere.

Weather

 

RI EMERGENCY MANAGMENT


Hurricane Preparedness


SnoCountry



On Facebook