1540 WADK.com Updates

Rhode Island officials are advising residents to avoid contact with water in a pond where a toxic blue-green algae bloom has been detected.

The state Health and Environmental Management departments said Friday people should not ingest water or eat fish from Warwick Pond in Warwick. Pet owners should not allow pets to drink the water or swim in it.

Test results are pending and are expected next week.

Skin contact with the algae can cause irritation of the nose, eyes and throat, and swallowing the water can cause diarrhea, vomiting and nausea and more rarely, serious complications. Anyone who has had contact with Warwick Pond and experienced those symptoms should contact their health care providers.

People are advised to avoid bright green water or algae they may see elsewhere.

Weather

 

RI EMERGENCY MANAGMENT


Hurricane Preparedness


SnoCountry



On Facebook