The Open Forum is a place to have discussions, exchange ideas and share valuable and useful information on issues that matter. Frank Prosnitz is an award-winning journalist who has also served as a public relations professional in state government, private industry, and in his own consulting business. Frank brings his unique perspective to the issues that affect us the most. Catch him mid-week on, The Open Forum.
Tues-Thurs on, The Open Forum
A journalist for more than 25 years, Frank Prosnitz has also served as a public relations professional in state government, private industry, and in his own consulting business.
He was a reporter/bureau manager at the Providence Journal for some 14 years and served as editor of Providence Business News for a decade. He began his journalism career as a sports writer at the Asbury Park (NJ) Press (for about a year), moving to The News Tribune (Woodbridge, NJ for some 14 months), before joining the Providence Journal.
After a long career in journalism, Prosnitz co-founded The Write Approach, a public relations agency that over a four-year span was involved with several commercial and political clients, providing media and communications support for local, statewide (Secretary of State, Treasurer, and Attorney General) and congressional candidates.
He also served for four years as press secretary to the Rhode Island General Treasurer, before returning to journalism as editor of Providence Business News.
After a decade at Providence Business News, Prosnitz founded Prosnitz Communications, which served a wide variety of clients, from healthcare to the defense industry. During that time Prosnitz has also served as communications manager for the Rhode Island Blood Center.
Throughout his career, he has continued to freelance articles and photography to local, regional and national publications.
- Twice won Best in Business Awards from the National Society of American Business Editors and Writers (SABEW).
- SABEW also recognized Providence Business News as among the six best weeklies in North America during his tenure as editor.
- Twice named media advocate of the year by the Small Business Administration.
- Investigative reporting award from the New England Press Association.
- News writing award from the Rhode Island Press Association.
Professional Leadership Positions and involvement:
- Former board member, North Central RI Chamber of Commerce.
- Past president of the Northeast District of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), covering all of New England and parts of New York State.
- Past president and board member of the Southeastern New England Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA).
- Past president, treasurer and board member, Providence Newspaper Guild.
- Past president, Capital City Connection, BNI Chapter.
Community Leadership Positions and involvement:
- Chairperson South County (RI) Tourism Council.
- Former treasurer and board member, South County Tourism Council.
- Past secretary and board member, Big Brothers of Rhode Island (also selected as Big Brother of the Year).
- Former board member, United Way of Southeastern New England.
- Former board member, Rhode Island Family Shelter.
- Past president, Greenwich Odeum Corp.
- Past president, vice president and board member Temple Torat Yisrael.
Education: Monmouth College (English major); Leadership Rhode Island; various seminars, workshops, and programs offered by Bryant College, the Bureau of National Affairs, American Arbitration Association, Cornell University, and various other programs.